This blog is solely the responsibility of Rebecca Hartog and does not reflect the views of Peace Corps.

Saturday, December 22, 2007

aaaaand.... she rebounds

Second week at post, finished. I’m doing much better since I last wrote. That first week was probably the toughest, but I’m feeling much better about village life now. First off, my house is much more in order. I’ve finally got some basic furnishings (a dresser, a bed, a bookshelf, a table and two chairs), so now my things are more organized. After three long months, I’m no longer living out of a suitcase… finally. Even though my living room and kitchen are virtually empty (and the other two rooms in my house totally empty), I can at least sleep somewhere, put my clothes and books somewhere, and sit somewhere. Huge improvements over before.


New and improved room – with dresser and carpet!

I also found some “magic chalk” that kills cockroaches. I had heard about this elusive chalk from other volunteers during stage, and had mentally noted that I would probably need to get my hands on some, though I was baffled as to how – was I really supposed to go to the market and ask for “magic chalk” and expect to get a straight answer? But, happily, I stumbled upon it at market, so now I wake up every morning to find an assortment of beetles, roaches, ants, and other creepy crawlies on their backs, still twitching a little, though definitely dead (the chalk apparently targets their nervous system). I prefer them dead to alive, so this is good.

Things are looking up in the realm of work, as well. Beginning with that second week, I began to work in earnest with Magloire on my job at the Centre d’Accueil Pour les Jeunes or CAPJ (literally: “Welcome Center for Youth”), the organization I’m officially partnered with. We spent an hour one day going over Magloire’s vision for the center, and I think this was my turning point, where things started to look up.

Magloire envisions that CAPJ will be, essentially, a youth center, with several objectives: (1) to provide youth with activities that focus their free time so they avoid risky behavior life drinking all day, unprotected sex, etc; (2) to educate youth about HIV/AIDS and/or other health issues that they identify as important; (3) to provide practical training and education to youth that can open them to more opportunities for their futures (for example, computer information classes). As he envisions it, the CAPJ will have several branches of different programs, one being the Centre d’Écoute. The Centre d’Écoute will basically be a peer educator program about HIV/AIDS and STIs, but he hopes to create programs in information technology (with computers), a design program, and others as well. This is all very exciting. At the moment, as far as I can tell, the CAPJ doesn’t have any youth involved in anything, nor are any programs really set up. This means we’ll be starting at square one by recruiting kids to be a part of the Centre d’Écoute, but once we start working with them, I can see how this CAPJ could really come off the ground and be an exciting way to engage youth and provide opportunity to improve their lives.

One of Magloire’s other visions is to create an Association of People Living with HIV/AIDS (PVVS, in French). This is challenging to do discreetly, because there is a lot of discrimination against people who are HIV+, despite a fairly widespread and accurate knowledge of how HIV is transmitted – for example, people won’t shake hands with someone who is HIV+, even though they know that this won’t cause HIV transmission. Generally speaking, therefore, people who are HIV+ usually don’t want their status broadcasted, especially in small villages like Ngambé Tikar where everyone knows everyone’s business; many HIV+ people try to keep their status hidden. To create and advertise publicly an organization for people living with HIV/AIDS would be like creating a flashing red neon sign that said “look! Here’s all the people in your community who are positive!” No one would join such an organization and willingly open themselves to discrimination like that. Magloire wants to use the youth center as a way to create a PVVS Association, but keep it hidden. This way, people won’t need to specify that they’re going to a meeting for PVVS, but they can say they’re going to a CAPJ meeting. It’s fairly ingenious, since the CAPJ will already have several branches of activities, so this could just be another one.

In any case, when Magloire explained this and I finally understood a bit more what my primary project will be here with the CAPJ, I was ecstatic! It’s all right up my alley – training peer educators, doing education about health (especially HIV/AIDS and STIs), working with teenagers, working to create an HIV/AIDS group – it’s really exciting. What is fun and exciting about working with an organization that is not yet formed is the chance to build it from the ground up – there are no rules; instead we get to create the rules, to set the standards, to reach for the stars. It leaves me feeling optimistic each time we talk about CAPJ, even though I know there will be many obstacles to its eventual success.

The Centre d’Accueil Pour les Jeunes with Magloire and Lydie, another woman who is involved at the center (and her kids)

This is the actual building, that is, the CAPJ itself. There is a lot of work to be done; Magloire wants to expand it and spruce it up quite a bit – add cement floors and all that jazz

I’ve also started to discover some secondary side projects that I think will be worthwhile – the principal of the local high school asked me if I wanted to teach an English class four times a week. I politely declined, because my job is not as an English teacher, but I think it could be a worthwhile side project to come in maybe once a week or every two weeks and lead conversational classes for more advanced students; I could even sneak in some sensibilisations about health topics by doing them in English. Another avenue for side projects is working with the health club at the high school; since they’re on holiday break now, I haven’t met with them yet, but I’m hoping it will be fun/worthwhile. Magloire has also created Club de l’Amitiés (literally: “friendship clubs”) at both of the elementary schools, which are comprised of elementary school students who do sensibilisations and animations about HIV and AIDS. Magloire said he created them because he thinks it’s never too early to begin talking and teaching about HIV, STIs and AIDS (I wish you could see how my heart nearly burst when he told me that). I’m hoping to work with these students as well. Other work includes going to the pygmy campements to see if there is some work there that may or may not be incorporated into projects at the CAPJ.

I’m also hoping that I may be able to find some work to do at the hospital. The hospital here is pretty spiffy – it is clean and appears to be well-run, and it has a doctor (I think most hospitals this rural do not) and a microscope, so they can do HIV, malaria, and other testing (again, I think microscopes are a sign of a well-run institution, since they are also hard to come by). Perhaps I could do rounds with the doctor, or provide some other sort of support. Who knows?

Another task for me is finding a tutor to begin learning the most commonly spoken local language here – Tikar. Peace Corps will reimburse volunteers who hire tutors to learn local languages for the first six months of service, so I really want to take advantage of this to learn Tikar. Thus far, I’ve learned just a few greeting phrases, and I have a long way to go. I recently found out the name of a man who teaches (taught?) Tikar at the elementary school, so I think he would be a good person to hire as a tutor.

In any case, I’m happy to find myself with my hands full with long-term home improvement projects, work projects, and the ever-continuing goal to meet people and make friends. Emotional state much improved: now at a seven or eight.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Great job! I'm happy that you are creating order out of chaos and that things are getting a little more comfortable.

I'd be careful about that chalk and food. If it kills cockroaches that well... and with the nervous system... just make sure you don't get it in your body even in small quantities.

I'm leaving home tomorrow to spend New Year's with some friends, so I just wanted to wish you first a far belated Merry Christmas, but also a Happy New Year and I hope that this year, which you will be spending mostly in Cameroon as I take it will bring great accomplishments to you and help you change and become a great person, even greater that you already were (and you really were something). Have fun making friends and helping the society. Happy New Year.

PS. Stop by my facebook profile page and play the song in the festive events page for yourself and think of me wishing you a great new year! ;)

Go Becca!

Anonymous said...

Great news! A seven or eight!! It is always such a relief when, as you say "she rebounds..." And, indeed, you always do.

Anonymous said...

Since I didn't get to see you in person at Bluewater before you left for The River of Prawns, Ill have to settle for giving you some shit via electronic contact- not as satisfying, but we make do.When I heard that you were going to be posted at the end of the road village where no PCV had gone before, I wasn't worried about your ability to handle the hardships, more about the fact that you would be far from contact with your wide web of friends. I still think that's the hardest thing to handle especially for someone used to being very connected. However, the housing/living conditions do seem to be a bit more stark than I expected, slightly worse than our house, even. As I told your mom, I have to admire your toughness and resilience. Not many people could do it. So keep fighting off the neighbor's chickens and goat. Oh, and how can someone send you money so you could buy a hammock? I'd like to do something like that for you. Like I'd be adopting a PCV. So keep on keeping on- the situation will get better, although probably at a slower pace than you'd like. (I'd guess that people in your village probably aren't usually in much of a hurry.) Thinking of ya.

Unknown said...

Becca! So I just called you and left a message on your wonderfully bilingual voicemail. I'll try to call again later. I leave for Kigali tomorrow morning at 9:30 and as per usual, am looking for more ways to procrastinate, so you can imagine my joy when I realized I had not read your blog recently! Since I read a few in one go, I got to see the upswing just after hearing about the hardships, which was comforting. I am so glad to hear that you're doing better and getting a bit more used to life there.

It sounds like you are doing/planning really amazing work there and I just love to read about Magloire. He seems like such a wonderful and inspirational partner in (non)crime. Even though I was only in Rwanda for 2.5 weeks before coming back to the US, I still got so frustrated with some of the attitudes towards early sexual health education, so I definitely understand your happiness upon hearing that Magloire was so enthusiastic on that topic. Also pretty ingenious idea about the association for people with HIV/AIDS to be within the center. I got so frustrated when I visited a local clinic and saw that they have the HIV part in a very obvious place that forces everyone to walk by the rest of the waiting patients to get there, since I am sure that set up prohibits some people from coming to get proper treatment.

I'm hoping that I'll have internet in my new house, but we'll have to see. I am going to try for a week living in the spare room of a Rwandan doctor doing HIV research, which could be totally amazing, provided he doesn't ask me to marry him. Either way, I should have internet at the office most of the time, so I'll try to Skype you that way so that we can catch up and plan how to see each other.

I know this is a ridiculously long comment, but I just wanted to let you know that I am so happy for you, have total faith in your ability to overcome any obstacle, and miss you tons.

Love, Elisa