This blog is solely the responsibility of Rebecca Hartog and does not reflect the views of Peace Corps.

Thursday, November 15, 2007

Meditations on traveling in Cameroon

Oh and one more thing. My first real experiences with traveling in country bush taxis left me feeling many things. I thought it’d be interesting to share some photos and some of my thoughts that I had while traveling:

- Jesus Christ, how are nine adults going to fit in this tiny car? [5 minutes later] Oh. Ow. That’s how.

- Wow, this countryside is so gorgeous. [trying to get more photos up]

- I am the luckiest person alive to be seeing and experiencing this right now [stupid grin on my face]

- Ohmygod, I am going to die now.

- Please don’t break down, please don’t break down, please don’t break down…

- Please don’t get stuck, please don’t get stuck, please don’t get stuck…

- I wonder how I can move my (insert body part here – arm, leg, buttcheek, hand, head, you get the idea) so that it won’t fall asleep.

- So this is why travel time depends on road conditions.

- Man, if the government would just pave these roads, I bet that would result in an almost immediate jumpstart to the economy, because then this two and half hour ride to go 50 km (~30 miles) would only take about 40 minutes instead and fewer delivery trucks would fall over/get stuck/have shot suspension systems due to the roads that cause them to break down all the time.

- So “good driver” has a whole new meaning here.

- No, no, I am going to die now.

- If Cameroon somehow managed to put itself together a little, have a little bit of infrastructure, have more paved roads, and have an actual tourist industry, this would be a tourist hotspot because it’s so friggin beautiful.

- [During a bush taxi ride with fourteen people in/on the car] I wonder what’s the most number of people that have been crammed into a bush taxi (ie 4-door sedan). I bet somewhere around 25. Hmm, that seems like a lot, maybe less. Maybe only 22 or 23.

- That’s ironic. The truck that fell over and is now stuck in the mud has the logo, “Africa moves, we do too!” on it.

- Well at least I don’t feel bad about not packing light – the guy next to me has a 200-lb sack of rice strapped to the roof and a stalk of 100 plantains in the trunk.

- I really don’t think it’s fair to call that a road

- Did we almost just tip over?

- Is that corn kernels leaking from a bag strapped to the roof? Oh good, the guys who are riding on the roof are taking care of it so we don’t have to stop.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

You've got to be exaggerating. There couldn't have been 14 people in a 4 door sedan. For real? Really for real? And was someone really riding on the roof? I guess that might be possible b/c the car obviously has to go slow, given the sometime road, sometime rut. A little bit of worry and loads of love. xxoo Mom

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.